Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What do people do?

Our first Barbies!
As I was strolling through Target looking for ethnic Barbies...It struck me how hard it must be for families who have children of color. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a white Barbie for the girls' first Barbie from us. This is not to say that every one they have has to be their shade of beautiful, but really...I want to at least balance it out! These are the Barbies that I found. I had to get two of the same because literally--that is all I could find. Weird. Does anyone know where I can find an Ethiopian Barbie? Oh... and the make-up! Wow! At least they are wearing clothes that cover up. These are ballerina Barbies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hearts of Hope said...

My Ethiopian daughters actually prefer blonde Barbies. I did find an AA Barbie that had longer, brushable hair. These girls are totally into hair, so they want dolls that they can strip naked, pull out their pre-set hair styles, and braid them into 100 teeny-tiny braids. However, since most of these kids have never had anything, ANY Barbie will be fine! :-) I have had the most luck finding ethnic dolls from Super Wal-Mart and Big Lots.